Eller + Eller Architekten were commissioned with the conversion planning of the Behrens Building on the banks of the Rhine in Düsseldorf in order to prepare the listed building to host the anniversary exhibition "75 Years of North Rhine-Westphalia".
The Dortmund Theatre was continuously used as an opera house, theatre and playhouse during the reconstruction of the existing building and the new building. The workshops and functional areas were relocated internally to other rooms and outsourced externally if required.
The House of World Cultures in Berlin is being comprehensively modernised and repaired by us. Built in 1957 as a congress hall and affectionately called the "pregnant oyster" by Berliners, the building was rededicated as the House of World Cultures in 1989 after partial collapse, reconstruction and vacancy in order to promote dialogue between the continents.
The subject of the competition was the construction of a new rehearsal building for the ballet of the Deutsche Oper am Rhein in the former Rheinbahn depot in Düsseldorf-Bilk. 5 halls with adjoining rooms were to be built for use by the ballet and a ballet school.
The "Haus der Berliner Festspiele", which was built in the early 1960s and is now a listed building, was extensively renovated, modernised and made fit for modern theatre operations from 2009 to 2011.
The ideas competition aimed to develop an urban development framework plan for the "Museumshöfe" in Berlin and its integration into the urban environment; in particular the references to the neighbouring Museum Island. The planning task was the construction of a new scientific competence centre for the National Museums in Berlin.
After the fall of the Wall, a new location became necessary for the first all-German cultural project: The historic Zeughaus in Berlin's Mitte district was decided upon as the home of the permanent exhibition, and a new building for temporary exhibitions on an adjacent plot of land was soon decided upon. In 1996, I. M. Pei was commissioned with the planning of this extension.
We were commissioned by the collector couple Peter and Irene Ludwig as general planners to renovate and refurbish the Ludwig Galerie in the classicist Schloss Oberhausen. Since its redesign in 1998, the gallery has been one of the internationally renowned exhibition venues in the Ruhr region.
The Chocolate Museum vividly shows the entire process from the growth of the cocoa bean to the finished chocolate product. By converting and extending the former customs yard, an exceptionally successful museum with 600,000 visitors a year was created at the prominently located entrée of Cologne's Rheinauhafen harbour.
The Ludwig Forum for International Art with exhibition and event space was created in 1991 from the former umbrella factory built in 1928. Further exhibition spaces, studios and a restaurant are grouped around the approx. 3,000 m² central shed roof hall.